In this post I am not professing to have the solution but it is my sincere hope that the information shared here will be of help to someone.
Depression is a reality many face. It is also a reality many suffer silently from. It is not something to laugh at or frown upon but it is real and it is something that should encourage us to help especially if we really care.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) around the world over 300 million people suffer from depression. To some it may be a harsh reality but it is a stark truth many face and need help with overcoming. It affects the quality of life, the ability to function and the ability to be the best one can be.
Depression can be the result of many causes. Key among them are traumatic experiences and a feeling of loneliness. The question that arises is, how do we help someone who is depressed?
- Be there for that person
- Remind him or her that there is a lot to live for. Give them practical examples (e.g. family, things to try that they always wanted to do)
- Encourage that person to eat, eat on time, eat balanced meals and do their best to be physically active
- Make that person laugh
- Keep lines of communication open and do your best to always be there for them
- Be patient
- Listen and don’t be dismissive
- Encourage them to go out and be in the company of those they love (e.g. mall, lunch/dinner, movies, shopping, grab a snack, watch a sunset or go to the beach)
- Encourage them to listen to music
I am urging you to do this and make a conscious effort to help someone who is depressed because they deserve the help they need. It is heartbreaking to see those you love and care about hurting but what is even more heartbreaking is being helpless. Caring is a ticket to empowering yourself and empowering someone who is depressed.
Make every minute count!
Make every smile help that person walk the extra mile!
Help that person survive! Let that person remember they are alive and deserve the best quality of life possible!
Let it be LOVE, CARE, MEET and Repeat!
Let it be CARE, GREET, SHARE and Repeat!
Let us help as best as we can!