Let’s celebrate Respect! What is it?
According to Dictionary.com respect is defined as:
- to hold in esteem or honor
- to show regard or consideration
- to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with, as in privacy.
I believe you know what respect is and I am happy you are reading it because I wanted you to read something you can share with others, be it at home or at school or via email or mail or any of the other available possibilities open to you.
Have a look at this:
Respect involves the acceptance of the views, beliefs and feelings of others. It comes from treating others as you would like to be treated and it is something I firmly believe in whether it’s between strangers, between bosses and their employees, among colleagues, acquaintances, friendships, marriages, sibling relationships, parent-child relationships, grandparent-grandchildren relationships or any of the other family relationships we know of.
In so many ways we are seeing how respect is being lost. This video however reminds us “OLD SCHOOL” respect that we have heard about so many times. Respect is a universal topic. Listen to what is being said and see how applicable it is:
In addition to this respect is also needed for nature-plants and animals. Have a look at this:
Here are some things it does not hurt to be reminded of:
- Treat others in the same manner as you would want to be treated. It’s the Golden Rule, “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”
- Change only to become a better you.
- Never compromise your values!
- Try your best to live without regrets!
- Doing something wrong can never make it right!
- Value the relationships you build and the people in your lives.
- Be true to yourself!
- Respect is a 2 way street- it must be given before it is earned.
- In the same way that you must love yourself before you can love others, self-respect comes before respecting others.
Respect and trust are key elements in a friendship and we can all agree that when either is lost, it may be regained to some extent but, more often than not things will never be the same. Most relationships begin with friendship and whether it is any of the relationships described above it involves friendship.
Take note of how Bruno Mars describes friendship in this video:
Hopefully you were singing along with Bruno Mars and hopefully you enjoyed the other videos too. The video is based on friendship but the respect these kids have for each other is so evident!
I was thinking of something local and my dear friend Regina Cozier mentioned this. Thank you Regina! Have a look at this too as it reinforces everything said and brings it across musically. Like everything else there is a lesson in it especially as it can help with values that are being lost in society. Great job 3Canal!
Thank you for taking the time to read this everyone! Hasta la vista!